Calcium alginate dressing is a non-woven fabric made of calcium alginate fiber made of alginate extracted from seaweed through a needle punching process or a top structure formed after carding. The medical calcium alginate dressing is a natural polymer material, which is non-toxic to the human body and can be used safely. When the dressing is in contact with the wound surface, calcium ions in the dressing are exchanged with sodium ions on the wound surface to form a layer of net-like gel on the wound surface, which provides an ideal moist environment for wound healing and effectively promotes wound healing.
According to the mechanism of action and different parts of patients, medical calcium alginate dressings are mainly divided into two types:
(1)Sheet type. It is a non-woven fabric made of medical calcium alginate dressing with acupuncture process on the surface; it is applied to the wound surface when used, and is suitable for open wounds.
(2)Top type. It is a medical calcium alginate dressing for filling. It is made by cutting the non-woven fabric into a strip structure, or making the fiber into a top structure after combing, and packaging it after cutting; it is filled in the wound when used, and is suitable for hemostasis and repair of hole-type traumatic wounds, such as Nasal cavity and other cavities.
(1) Emergency Department: Treatment of exudate and local hemostasis;
(2) Neurosurgery, nursing ward, dermatology: Moderate/severe exudate and wounds with cavities, such as pressure sores, ulcers and other wounds;
(3) Department of Endocrinology: Diabetic foot ulcer wounds, lower limb veins, arterial ulcer wounds;
(4) Surgery: Wounds after abdominal and chest surgery, wounds after incision and drainage of abscesses;
(5) Burns department: Burn wounds in the skin donor area and hard-to-heal burn wounds;
(6) Anorectal, Otorhinolaryngology: Anal fistula, nasal cavity and other sinus wounds.
(1)Strong absorbability: It can absorb 15-20 times of wound fluid equivalent to its own weight and form a gel to protect the wound surface and promote wound healing.
(2) Gelation: It absorbs wound exudate, exchanges sodium and calcium ions with the exudate, and forms a stable net-like gel on the wound surface, creating a micro-environment conducive to tissue growth for the wound.
(3) Hemostatic: The alginate dressing contacts the wound exudate to release calcium ions, which can promote the formation of prothrombin activator and accelerate the clotting process.
(4) Bacteriostatic: The alginate fiber swells highly after absorbing moisture, thereby reducing the activity and reproduction ability of bacteria.
(5) Compatibility: It has good biocompatibility, and the residual fiber can be degraded and absorbed by the human body.
(6) Anti-adhesion: It is easy to use, forms a gel, does not adhere to the wound; when it is removed, it will not cause second-degree injury and no obvious pain.